On this birthday of our strong democracy, you may be enjoying hamburgers, hotdogs, watermelon, and splashing in some water plus a fireworks display later on. Throughout the day, take a few moments to think about living up to our responsibility as citizens of this excellent country. Our rights are spelled out in our constitution and our responsibilities are no less important!
Here’s a few critical responsibilities of citizenship:
- VOTE! In each and every election, not just the big ones that garner all the attention. To vote says that you care about the future of our community and country. Voting says that you care about your children and your neighbor’s children, and children around the world. Just do it.
- Become (or stay) INFORMED! Don’t just listen to so-called news that resonates with your point of view. Learn the issues and look at problems from both sides and the middle. Most issues are more complex that headlines reflect, so learn.
- Know the names of your elected officials and how to reach them. It’s super easy to locate.
- Now that you know their names, hold them accountable. Thank them when they’ve cast a well-reasoned vote, and communicate via phone, personal visits or e-mail your concerns on issues important to you. Each official is elected to represent all of the people in their area–not just those of their particular political party.
- Don’t give up! Today’s political climate may feel chaotic and overwhelming. Join with friends to discuss issues and strategies and then act. Giving up, throwing in the towel, thinking my one vote/voice doesn’t make a difference leads to a very few people controlling our country and our future.
We are so fortunate to live in this beautiful, great country. In gratitude, let’s all take our responsibilities of citizenship seriously!
Happy 4th of July to you and yours.
Whether you are celebrating 4th of July in Hot Springs or just looking to have some fun this summer, Hot springs, AR is the perfect town for a summertime getaway. Our town is full of great events and fun activities all summer long. Enjoy everything from Movies in the Market to rollercoasters and waterpark rides. Take a dip in Lake Hamilton or just relax at our Hot Springs bed and breakfast.
Start planning your Hot Springs summer getaway by booking online today!