This little city of Hot Springs, and the surrounding area, never stops. Each season offers spectacular activities, with winter no exception. Wintertime is one of my favorite times in Arkansas, with the starkness of the trees, birdwatching, and exceptional hiking opportunities. Here’s a list of our top five winter experiences:
- Birdwatching. A variety of birds and waterfowl spend their winters in Hot Springs. Bald eagles, osprey, cormorands, coots, cardinals, tufted titmouse, juncos, chickadees, finches of all varieties, several types of woodpeckers, doves, and the list goes on. Dozens of cardinals nest on our property, so you are guaranteed to see them at our feeders.
- Garvan Woodland Gardens. Throughout December, the Holiday Lights are a magical wonderland. Although the gardens are closed in January, you’ll find great walks along blooming camelia trails and thousands of stunning daffodils during the month of February.
- Bald Eagle Tours. Three nearby state parks offer tours via boat to see the wintering bald eagles. The tours, at Lake Ouachita, Lake Catherine and Lake DeGray State Parks require advance reservations.
- Hiking. With cooler temps, no humidity, and few people on the trails, winter may be the very best time for outdoor enthusiasts. With lots of hiking trails, from easy to challenging, we’ll provide suggestions and maps for our guests. The Hot Springs National Park provides many hiking trails, plus the nearby state parks also have fabulous hikes.
- Thermal Water Relaxation. When coming to the Spa City, a soak in the thermal waters may be just the prescription for removing aches and pains. Check out the Quapaw Bathhouse & Spa, where you can spend an entire day soaking in pools of warm thermal water.
- Oaklawn Thoroughbred Racing. Starting January 13, live horse racing returns to Oaklawn!
Enjoy a great getaway to Hot Springs this winter! We’ll be happy to make activity suggestions for you, and we promise to have the fireplace roaring on chilly evenings so that you might snuggle with a cup of hot cocoa. To reserve your room, book online or call 501.525.6155.
*Promotions and events mentioned may no longer be active. Visit https://lookoutpointinn.com/hot-springs-vacation-packages.html to see current specials and events.