In Part 1, we covered the essentials of a great bed and the need to de-clutter. Now, let’s look at the smaller items in a guest room that create big impact. These simple steps create a big welcome for your guests, and don’t require a big cash outlay or a lot of time.
1. Lighting: Good bedside reading lights are critical. Place a lamp at each beside table, using a 23 watt compact florescent or LED light (equivalent to an old 100 watt bulb). Any less brightness does not provide enough light for bedtime reading. If you don’t have the space for 2 bedside tables, mount small lamps to the wall at the sides of the bed frame. Avoid ceiling lights, especially lights attached to a ceiling fan.
2. Welcome note: On a simple note card, jot a simple yet personalized note of welcome to your guests. It only takes a moment, and it touches the heart.
3. Water: Place a small carafe with 2 glasses, or a couple of bottles of water in the room. Again, it’s a simple and thoughtful touch. Your guests won’t need to stumble to the kitchen or bathroom in search of a sip of water.
4. Noise abatement: All of our guest rooms, both at the inn and at our home, provide a Sleep Sound Machine. Your place may be noiser, or even quieter, than your guests’ abode. The Sleep Sound machine neutralizes sounds with a soft white noise, and provides a soothing background for super-quiet spaces.
5. Towels/face cloths: Set out a towel and face cloth for your guests, in an obvious place (bathroom or guest room) so that they don’t need to hunt. Add a bowl of amenities to the bathroom with a collection of soaps, travel toothpaste, shampoo so that your very special guests might have a selection.
6. Reading Material: Your guests will appreciate a small selection of reading materials, such as a local travel guide and/or current magazine. Just remember to balance items in the room with providing clear spaces for your guests to place their own belongings.
Finally, the most important item in creating a welcoming space is your very own special brand of hospitality. With your genuine warmth combined with a soothing smile, your guests will feel pampered.
To learn more hospitality tips, consider adding a stay at Lookout Point. The Innkeepers will be happy to share their insight with you! You can reserve your stay online or call 501.525.6155 for more information.